- When you first chopped, what were your thoughts and feelings? How do you feel now? I did my big chop on January 3, 2011. At first I was indecisive and comfortably in ”half relaxer, half natural” stage. For weeks, I kept having second thoughts because I was afraid of how it would look and if I’d like it. One day, I woke up and said to my boyfriend “Lets go chop it RIGHT NOW!”. We went to the barber shop, and I kept that energy the entire time. Otherwise, I would have talked myself out of it again. As my hair was being cut, all I kept saying to myself was “I can’t believe I’m doing this right now…”I’m not going to look in the mirror until he’s done cutting it off”…”OMG, I’m going to look like a boy”…and my final words(because there was no turning back) was “F*** it! I’m going to own it!” The great part about the experience is that I had a lot of support during the chop, which gave me even more confidence.
I love my natural look! I can’t keep my hands out of my hair, I can’t wait to see how it grows and I’m having so much fun experimenting.
- How did you cope with the responses from your family and friends? This wasn’t hard. I had support from almost everyone around me. Anyone with negative feedback… I just brush it off.
- What are your plans for your hair (do you plan to grow it out, keep it short)? I plan to grow it out(Solange Knowles)and see how I like it. I can always go back to a TWA if I have an issue.
- Do you find it necessary to ‘doll up’ your look to feel more feminine? Most times,Yes for work and going out. When I am in chill mode I’m very simple.
- If so, what are your favorite accessories, or go to ways to glam up your look? My favorite accessories would be big earrings. I like to use color eyeshadow or earth tone colors that pop, mascara and lip gloss.
- What products and techniques do you use to style? How often do you style? I style once a week(Sundays) and hope it last for the week(haha). My weekly routine consist of cleansing my scalp with Devu Curl No Poo; Deep conditon every other week with Shea Butter conditioner or just regular conditon with Jane Carter between deep conditions. For styling, I use Jane Carter Leave-in conditioner or Garnier Fructis Leave-in-conditioner cream, add Kinki Curly Custard or Jane Carter Curl Defining Lotion and always seal with Miss Jessies Baby Butter for moisture. I occasionally do the wet-n-go with Eco Styler Gel and Jojoba Oil.
- How do you get your waves or curls popping? By using a lot of the product I mentioned and defining my curls by seperating them with my fingers.
- How do you preserve your curls at night? A satin scarf lightly tied.